With the upcoming release of Barbershop: The Next Cut on April 15, we’ve been thinking a lot about our own experiences at our local Meccas of fresh cuts.
Traditionally speaking, the barbershop is known as a sacred space for Black men. It is the place where men go to chop it up about their day, discuss baby-mama drama, and of course argue about the 10 greatest rappers of all time.
However, as more and more women opt for the big chop, they have found their way into the testosterone-filled environment.
As a woman who rocks a pixie and often edges up my look with a few designs, I know first-hand how intimidating it can be to enter a male-dominated sphere. In fact, I can’t think of anything more daunting being the only female in a barbershop.
Whether you are female barber or just waiting to get a cut, the route to dope-haircut-heaven isn’t easy. Here are five gifs that perfectly describe being a woman in a barbershop.
When you overhear a dude exaggerating about how many women he has dated:
How you feel when the neighborhood player is trying to spit game:
The face you make when you know a dude is lying about dating a female you know:
Oh great, here comes the unnecessary—and often childish—barbershop roasts:
How you feel when you’ve been impatiently waiting and someone tries to skip you:
19 Glorious Common Quotes To Live By
1. “Inside is where the fight lay/ And everything a nigga do may not be what he might say.” [“Be (Intro)”]1 of 13
2. “Never looking back or too far in front of me/ The present is a gift and I just want to be.” [“Be (Intro)”]2 of 13
3. “Asked my guy how he thought travellin the world sound/ Found it hard to imagine he hadn’t been past downtown.” [“Respiration”]3 of 13
4. “Hunger in they eyes is what seems to feed me.” [“The People”]4 of 13
5. “Nobody believe, until I believe me.” [“The People”]5 of 13
6. “I watched ‘Crash’ and realize that we all survivors/ No religion or race could ever describe us. [“Forever Begins”]6 of 13
7. “Playing on a field of hard times/ These struggles like the yard line/ that I gain from/ Nowhere is where I came from.” [“Any Given Sunday”]7 of 13
8. “How could I ever let your words affect me?” [“Get Em High”]8 of 13
9. “I’m trapped in myself/ See what happens with wealth/ At times you can lose yourself/ During the sunniest of days many superstars melt.” [“Any Given Sunday”]9 of 13
10. “Life is an obstacle/ As I maneuver through the manure I try to be responsible. [“Book of Life”]10 of 13
11. “In relationships, I stand my ground. For example, I like to go to church on New Year’s Eve—to spend that time with God. My ex would always want me to go somewhere with her instead, and when I did, I’d regret it. Now I’ll just say to a woman I’m dating, ‘I’m going to church—and I’ll meet you right after.’” [Interview, Oprah]11 of 13
12. “Nobody wants to live in a sad state in their lives and you can create your own dreams and your own happiness if you just work towards it and believe in it and make those choices that lead towards that.” [Interview, Ebony]12 of 13
5 Gifs That Explain The Awkwardness Of Being A Woman In A Barbershop was originally published on hellobeautiful.com