"Willow, you once said that you felt like the two of you were almost like identical twins…Were you guys always that close?" —@pharrell interviews @willowsmith and @christiaingrey for our September cover. Photo @stevenkleinstudio. Styling #KarlTempler. Hair @tomojidai. Hair stylist @marciahamilton. Makeup @diane.kendal. Manicure @honeynailz. Set design #JesseKaufmann. Cc @fabienbaron
“No matter how cool you think you are, your kids think you suck,” Will Smith joked at this summer’s Comic-Con. But actually, his kids feel the total opposite.
In a recent interview with Pharrell Williams for Interview magazine, Willow and Jaden Smith had nothing but glowing reviews about their parents, citing both Will and Jada as their primary source of influence.
“Growing up, all I saw was my parents trying to be the best people they could be,” said Willow, 15. “And people coming to them for wisdom, coming to them for guidance, and them not putting themselves on a pedestal, but literally being face-to-face with these people and saying, ‘I’m no better than you, but the fact that you’re coming to me to reach some sort of enlightenment or to shine a light on something, that makes me feel love and gratitude for you.’”
She continues, “It’s not just about money. What my parents have given to me is not anything that has to do with money or success or anything that society says people should be focusing on – it’s something spiritual that only certain people can grasp and accept, and that’s how I act and move in the world today.”
Jaden, 18, chimed in, adding that Will and Jada are his “biggest role models.”
“It all comes from a concept of affecting the world in a positive way,” he said. “Leaving it better than it was than when we came.”
They also talked about the unique bond they share with each other as brother and sister.
“Not a lot of siblings have that opportunity, because they’re always being pushed together so much,” Willow said. “It’s crazy, the sibling dynamic.”
Read the interview in its entirety here.
#RelationshipGoals: Will & Jada Are The Epitome Of Black Love
1. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith1 of 20
2. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith2 of 20
3. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith3 of 20
4. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith4 of 20
5. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith5 of 20
6. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith6 of 20
7. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith7 of 20
8. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett8 of 20
9. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith9 of 20
10. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett10 of 20
11. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith11 of 20
12. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith12 of 20
13. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith13 of 20
14. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith14 of 20
15. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith15 of 20
16. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith16 of 20
17. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith17 of 20
18. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith18 of 20
19. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith19 of 20
20. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith20 of 20
Willow & Jaden Smith On Why Their Parents Are Their ‘Biggest Role Models’ was originally published on globalgrind.com