Colin Kaepernick probably didn’t know that he would set a simple protest that would be valid for years to come after protesting police brutality on Black people by sitting down during the National Anthem.
Almost two years later and stars are still having to opt out of the pledge in order to demonstrate their opposition to oppression. Jesse Williams is the latest star to put his money where his seat is and sat down during the singing of the anthem at the BIG3 basketball game on August 13, in response to the violence going on Charlottesville, Virginia.
During the anthem, the Grey’s Anatomy star posted a video on social media while parked in seat, with the caption, “We’ll stand when you do,” — which many people believe is aimed at Donald Trump. You may recall that the normally outspoken head of state was pretty quiet on Saturday when the neo-nazi’s began their attacks in Virginia.
Williams isn’t the only star to follow in Kaepernick’s brave steps. NFL star Marshawn Lynch also sat out the National Anthem this weekend during a pre-season game with the Oakland Raiders.
It’s interesting how a silent protest such as sitting out gets criticized more than overt racism. Just another reason to miss Obama.
13 Reasons We Are Still Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We'll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source:Getty 1 of 13
2. And let's not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source:Getty 2 of 13
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source:Getty 3 of 13
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source:Getty 4 of 13
5. He was never afraid to have a good time.Source:Getty 5 of 13
6. The White House was always lit, and full of celebs.Source:Getty 6 of 13
7. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source:Getty 7 of 13
8. Plus, he's all about b-ball.Source:Getty 8 of 13
9. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source:Getty 9 of 13
10. Despite his insane schedule, he's a pretty hands on dad.Source:Getty 10 of 13
11. ... And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source:Getty 11 of 13
12. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we're thankful.Source:Getty 12 of 13
13. He gave us hope...Source:Getty 13 of 13
Jesse Williams Refused To Stand For The National Anthem During A Basketball Game was originally published on globalgrind.com