Updated: Friday, March, 11, 2016, 9:30 AM ET
Saying they have “buried the hatchet,” former Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson endorsed front-runner Donald Trump at a Friday morning press conference at the real estate mogul’s private Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida.
The endorsement comes after the men battled for months over votes on the campaign trail. At one point, Trump described Carson as “pathological” after the retired neurosurgeon revealed a violent childhood past.
“We buried the hatchet,” Carson said. “We’ve moved on. It’s not about me. It’s not about Mr. Trump. It’s about America.”
Carson also stressed the importance of unity:
“I know how a person’s image can be greatly distorted, having been a victim of that,” he said. “We have to start working together. We cannot allow the agents of division to continue separating us.”
Trump also addressed questions about “nasty stuff said on the campaign trail.”
“It’s politics,” he said, noting that he used to think the real estate business in Manhattan was tough.
Trump says he admires Carson because he couldn’t shake him in the polls early in the GOP race.
This is a developing story…
Ben Carson To Endorse Donald Trump
Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump announced Thursday during a debate at Miami University that former challenger Ben Carson will endorse him Friday at a press conference at the real estate mogul’s private Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida.
The retired neurosurgeon suspended his presidential bid a week ago, saying he didn’t see a path forward in the race.
From CBS News:
In an interview on Fox News Radio Thursday, Carson hinted at his support for the GOP real estate mogul. Asked whether he was planning to back Trump, he replied: “Let’s put it this way, I’m certainly leaning.”
And despite his past criticism of Trump, Carson said Thursday that there’s a side of Trump people don’t see in public.
“Well, you know there are two Donald Trumps. There’s the Donald Trump that you see on television and who gets out in front of big audiences, and there’s the Donald Trump behind the scenes,” he said. “They’re not the same person. One’s very much an entertainer, and one is actually a thinking individual.”
Trump hinted that if nominated, Carson would have a spot in his administration, possibly overseeing education.
This is a developing story…
SOURCE: CBS News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO CREDIT: CBS News
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
“We Buried The Hatchet,” Carson Says Of Trump Endorsement was originally published on newsone.com