10 Things You Should Know About Claressa Shields was originally published on globalgrind.com
10 Things You Should Know About Claressa Shields
11 photos Launch gallery
1. Claressa Shields made history at the 2016 Olympics as the first American boxer to win back-to-back gold.
1 of 11
2. Claressa was born in Flint, Michigan.
2 of 11
3. She got the name T-rex when she was 11-years-old because she was “very skinny and I had short arms, but I used to always be swinging.”
3 of 11
4. Claressa was a shy teen and didn’t have many friends until she gained confidence from boxing.
4 of 11
5. Boxing gave Shields an outlet to channel her anger from being molested as a kid.
5 of 11
6. Claressa admits that she would sacrifice meals just so that her siblings could eat while growing up in Flint.
6 of 11
7. She calls herself Serena Williams’ “Little Twin.”
7 of 11
8. Claressa is the biggest weight class in the Olympics for women and said she eats a lot!
8 of 11
9. In 2016, Universal declared the rights to make a movie about Claressa.
9 of 11
10. Shields is the first US woman to ever receive a gold medal in boxing.
10 of 11
11. She adopted her cousin’s baby when she was just 19.
11 of 11